The first commercial light bulbs produced by Edison in the winter of 1879 to 1880 did not have threaded bases as we know them today. Instead they had a plain neck with two copper strips on opposite sides of the neck. The neck was simply plugged into a wooden standing base as shown in the photograph. Another method of securing a light bulb was to mount it into a socket (which was simply a hollowed out piece of wood) and tighten the thumbscrew to secure the bulb. With this method the light bulb did not have to be sitting on a table or mantle but could be affixed to a wall or the ceiling.